Submitted by WA Contents
A Call for Nonurban Ideas 2021
India Architecture News - Dec 18, 2020 - 17:28 6779 views
Nonurbanism, in students, engineers, designers, and artists from around the globe to take part in the "Call for Nonurban ideas 2021". It recognizes outstanding ideas that address the nonurban half of the world: the people living in urban-peripheral small towns and rural areas. Here, we would like you to generate proposals that focus on the strengths of communities, upholding the dignity of humanity and avoiding existent urban biases.
Ideas may spring from any concern, be it socio-cultural, socio-political or socio-economic by finding expression in the spatial relationships between communities and its resources - land, water, forest or settlements. Specifically, it is a call to examine the relationships such as (but not limited to) between rural communities and;
- Customary practices (agriculture, animal husbandry, forestry, fishing, and craft)
- Environmental preservation and unsustainable industrial practices.
- The production and consumption capacity in the nonurban.
- Social diversities, identity and hierarchies.
- Migration: Causes, impacts and implications on nonurban areas.
- Design and planning methods and practices that are currently dominated by urban perspectives and biases, and/or
- The role of infrastructure (whether social, physical and/or technological, is enabling or enslaving the rural inhabitants for whom it is intended.)
"The competition is an investigation into the self-organizing and adaptive strengths of rural communities and the role of trained architects, designers, planners, policymakers in enabling and supporting the autonomous functioning of such communities."
There are no restrictions regarding site, program, or size. The objective is to provide maximum freedom to the participants to engage the project without constraints in the most creative way. However, we urge you to profile a nonurban community where you have specific native insights into the culture and legacies of the area. Such a proposed project can be worked on to be submitted to invested authorities and/or private international funders.