Submitted by Eneida Berisha
Venice Biennale 2018: Albania announces shortlisted projects
Albania Architecture News - Nov 21, 2017 - 16:08 27473 views
2. TIA – title "Across the threshold"
3. Studio Vrabič van Berkel – title: "From Albania with love"
4. Helidon Xhixha – title "Sfera di luce";
(with projects no. 3 and no. 4 receiving the same number of votes).
The selected teams will continue their work up to a fully detailed exhibition concept which will be presented to the International Jury appointed by the Ministry, with the expected winning announcement on December the 22nd.
The ministry declared that this year’s participants were 9 among which are:
1. Studio Vrabič van Berkel – title: "From Albania with love"
2. Vlora Atelier – title "Landscape"
3. PHARC SA – title "Paperwall"
4. Helidon Xhixha – title "Sfera di luce"
5. Di Robilant, Veizaj, Islami, Isola – title "Shtesa, against and within socialist architecture."
6. Commonsense.Studio/PRGBR Architektur FABLAB Tirana - title: "Zero space"
7. TIA – title "Across the threshold"
8. AÇA – title "Intersecting Vaults"
9. DICAR + SON + KUBE - title "Beneath the exodus city, Conquer free space"
The theme of the 16th Venice Biennale is titled "Freespace" by the curators Yvonne Farrell and Shelley McNamara of Grafton Architects following their statement:
"Freespace describes a generosity of spirit and a sense of humanity at the core of architecture's agenda, focusing on the quality of space itself. Freespace focuses on architecture’s ability to provide free and additional spatial gifts to those who use it and on its ability to address the unspoken wishes of strangers."
"Freespace encourages reviewing ways of thinking, new ways of seeing the world, of inventing solutions where architecture provides for the wellbeing and dignity of each citizen of this fragile planet. Freespace can be a space for opportunity, a democratic space, un-programmed and free for uses not yet conceived. … We are interested in going beyond the visual, emphasizing the role of architecture in the choreography of daily life."
Yvonne Farrell and Shelley McNamara of Grafton Architects, directors of the 2018 Venice Architecture Biennale. Image © Andrea Avezzu
Top image © Giulio Squillacciotti. Arsenale, Venice. Image Courtesy of La Biennale di Venezia