Submitted by WA Contents
MAD announced 2017 Travel Fellowship Winners to China and Overseas
China Architecture News - Jun 9, 2017 - 11:03 10879 views
MAD Architects has announced the winners of the 2017 MAD Travel Fellowship. Selected from over 500 global applicants, MAD's travel funds went to 5 overseas students to visit China and 5 Chinese students to visit Ukraine, Italy, France, Japan and Netherlands. During the past 7 years, the program has sponsored 35 students from universities across Mainland China for their international architecture travels to Africa, Asia, Europe, and North America.
All students traveled with individually-determined research topics and presented their studies upon their returns. Starting in 2017, the program was updated to have further international reach. Judged by MAD founder Ma Yansong personally, MAD Travel Fellowship aims to boost cross-cultural transformations over proposed research topics, investigated by students individually - MAD Travel Fellowship was initiated Ma Yansong by in 2009.
"MAD believes it is only through travel – the visceral experience of interacting with, and being influenced by, different spaces – that one can begin to understand ideas of context and gain a deeper insight into architecture," stated MAD.
"For students wishing to meet with architects they find valuable to their research topics, MAD will help to request and arrange meeting," added MAD. World Architecture Community is media partner for the 2017 MAD Travel Fellowship.
Peruse the winning-projects below:
Overseas Fellows to visit China:
1. Roberto Vargas Calvo, from Costa Rica, a 5th year undergraduate student in Veritas University, Costa Rica
2. Kyriaki Goti, from Greece, a 2nd year graduate student in University of Stuttgart, Germany
3. Hossein Goudarzi, from Iran, a 1st year graduate student in University of New Mexico, USA
4. Federico Fauli, from Italy, a 2nd year graduate student in Architectural Association, UK
5. Shaun McCallum, Scotland, a 1st year graduate student in University of Applied Art Vienna, Austria
Chinese Fellows to travel overseas:
1. LI Qiwei, a 4th year undergraduate student in Beijing University of Civil engineering and Architecture, China. Travel Destination: Russia, Ukraine
2. WEN Zishen, a 2nd year graduate student in Tsinghua University, China. Travel Destination: Germany, Austria, Italy
3. WU You, a st year graduate student in Princeton University, USA. Travel Destination: France
4. YI Zhe, a 1st year graduate student in Yale University, USA. Travel Destination: Japan
5. WEI Tangchenxi, a 2nd year graduate student in Southeast University, China. Travel Destination: Netherlands
All images courtesy of MAD
> via MAD