The FALCON of DOHA is a unique Citadel-Island created off the City’s Cornice Waterfront that will be recognized internationally as a Cruise Ship Port destination and will bring much more opportunities for tourism investment, seaside living and urban amenities to the growing City of DOHA.
The VISION is UNIQUE
• The FALCON of DOHA is the Vision of the Future. The Government of Qatar can create an extraordinary urban setting, an international showcase of high-quality living in a sustainable HABITAT, a Bold Statement that will become a reference for future environmental and urban designs in harsh climates of the Middle East.
• The FALCON of DOHA is the Vision of the Future and Master Plan to create a new DESTINATION. A tourist-oriented area set by Innovation and originality in the heart of Doha.
• The opportunity arose when the Qatar government decided to build a new cargo port, leaving the old infrastructure by 2016 with no clear use. “Following the guidelines set by the ministry of tourism in its 2013 national strategy, we decided to create a “destination within a destination” a “welcoming stage” for tourists a State-of-the-Art cruise port.
• The cruise facilities have been designed to be able to serve as a Port of Call and a Home-port and will undoubtedly get the attention of the major cruise lines and could lay the foundation for a Qatar cruise line, making Doha a hub in the Persian Gulf.
• LOCATION is UNIQUE -
• The cruise facilities will be designed to be able to serve as a Port of Call and a Home-Port and will undoubtedly get the attention of the major cruise lines and could lay the foundation for a Qatar cruise line, making Doha a Cruise hub in the Persian Gulf.
The LOCATION is UNIQUE
• LOCATION-LOCATION-LOCATION. There is plenty of land in QATAR to be developed. Only one opportunity like the existing, soon to be vacant piers of the old cargo port. This opportunity needs a Vision of the Future, a Bold Statement, and a Great Design Concept, to be developed by the best Architects from QATAR and the World, with criteria of innovation in: Live-Landscape-Urbanism, sustainability, resiliency, energy conservation, and low carbon emissions.
• The new Port will increase the Qatar tourism industry and create a “Touristic Citadel” the heart of Doha overseeing a massive tourists foot flow to Qatar.
• It will increase the attention of major Cruise Lines worldwide making Doha a hub for the cruise industry in The Persian Gulf.
• The FALCON of DOHA will help to deliver country Vision of the Future and enrich a reputation of a country with the highest quality of living.
• It will become a reference on Sustainability for Habitats with harsh climates by using State-of-the-Art energy generation and conservation technics like Solar Panels, Green Roofs, Electric Tram system, Electric Vehicles, and low carbon emissions.
• Every component of The FALCON of DOHA Project is a high revenue generator and will ensure a sound and profitable return of investment.
• The port will be directly linked to the new Hamad Airport via an underwater tunnel that will go under the access water channel that separate the Island from the mail land.
The project will be launched in three sustainable phases:
I. The Phase 1 of The FALCON of DOHA will include the Port of Call capable of handling up to three (3) mega-ships, the Souq-Marketplace, the mixed-use downtown Maidan quarter, the main Mosque, The MILL Art Museum, and the first phase of the Home-Port.
II. Phase 2 will encompass THE LAND DEVELOPMENT (the dredging and filling of 206 Ha.) an underground Soccer Stadium (which could be used for the future Olympic Games Qatar is bidding on), Art Park & Souq, beaches, hotels, a Mega-yacht marina, residential housing, The Earth Museum and an Aquarium, Down Fishermen Marina, Underwater Tunnel, the 2nd phase Home-Port.
III. Phase 3 will see a Convention & Exhibition Center, Garage Parking, the Grand Hotel & Beach Club, Water-park, Sports Park, high rise waterfront residences, and more.
ENVIRONMENTAL BENEFITS are UNIQUE
• The FALCON of DOHA will be an “Eco-Sustainable” urban settlement that will self-generate all the energy and water it will need.
• Green roofs and Road system will have solar panels.
• Solar desalinization plants will generate all potable water.
• All sewer waste will be treated for greens and landscaping irrigation.
• Zero carbon generation by using electric light rail system, keeping gas vehicles parking off the island and only allowing electrically powered on the Citadel-island.
• When both components of the port: The Cruise Ship Port of Call and the Home-Port will be completed, the New Doha Cruise Port will be able to handle up to six (6) mega-ships at the same time and six (6) million pax. a year. (up to 42,000 pax/day)
• The Citadel of The FALCON of DOHA will house a number of world-famous hotels, museums, art galleries, shops, restaurants, amenities and hot-spots offering tourists “a Destination within a Destination” an eye into the warm Qatari hospitality.
• The objective is for sustainable tourism well into the future.
• Qatar could use the six (6) mega-cruise ships as temporary hotels during the 2022 FIFA Cup, instead of having to build 24,000 hotel rooms.
• The port will be directly linked to the new Hamad Airport via an underwater tunnel that will go under the access channel to the Port.
The DOHA CRUISE SHIP PORT OF CALL
• It will be capable to accommodate simultaneously, along with the main wharf, up to (3) Three Mega-ships of 360 meters long each.
• The Port of Call is designed to provide a “Welcoming Stage” for cruise passengers.
• It will offer surprising and inviting views from the Cruise ships decks. Once on the ground, the passengers will be greeted by an exotic Date Palms Garden, with fresh water fountains intermingled as well as large canopies between palms, creating a refreshing, shadowy and comfortable ambiance.
• The Cruise Passengers, the Local and International visitor will mingle in and will be able to enjoy Cafes under a Trellis Gallery colorful Bougainville, that interconnects all three arrivals/departing areas with a Marketplace-Souk, located on the ground floor of the 7-Story high mixed- use building that encloses the entire Area.
• The landscape, architecture, signage, urban furniture…of the whole, will tell you: “Welcome, you have arrived at Doha, QATAR”.
The DOHA CRUISE SHIP HOME-PORT
• The DOHA Cruise Ship Home-Port is composed of three (3) Port Terminals.
• Each Terminal will serve one Mega-Ship at the time.
• The “Design Mega-Ship” is a 362x65 meter size ship up to 240,000 TGR.
• The Port is capable to handle up to (3) Three Mega-ships, carrying 6,000 pax. each Debarking and Embarking.
• The DOHA Home-Port is designed to be built in phases. PHASE 1 there will be two Terminals. The third Terminal could be built later on according to market needs.
• Each Port Terminal will provide for an efficient, effective and comfortable Embarking and Debarking experience.
• The FALCON of DOHA will get the attention of major Cruise Lines worldwide and set the foundations for a much desirable “Qatar Cruise Line” making of DOHA the Hub for the Cruise industry in the Persian Gulf and the Arabian Sea.
FEASIBILITY & VALUE
The FALCON of DOHA offers one of the best opportunities to impulse the economic and social development of the tourism industry in Qatar. An objective analysis of the real options Doha has in the short term to complement the existing strategy of economic growth, which includes the creation of jobs, the direct and increasing income from foreign spending, the extensive and democratic distribution of income and the generation of a positive multiplier effect for all sectors of tourism and the economy, would show that for the time being, there is no other sustainable project in the tourism industry that can trigger it in such a clear and beneficial way as the FALCON of DOHA Cruise Ship Port.
The RETURN on the INVESTMENT is SOUND and GOOD!
Every component of The FALCON of DOHA is highly revenue generating, unique in its development program, design concept, and creates its own market demand. The balance between a high-quality product, high-density, and low-rise development in a unique location makes of The FALCON of DOHA a highly beneficial investment.
The Falcon of Doha envisions a unique Development Program:
• The total Site area is: 305 Ha
• Of which 99Ha do exist and 206Ha. are of landfill form dredging.
• Total Green and Park Area is approx. 600,000 m2
• Total Building Construction area is approx. 9,000,000 m2
Building Area: 96,875,194 sf.
Cost per Square Foot: 64,85 $/sf.
1st Phase: $ 1,149,074,516
2nd Phase: $ 2,283,762,198
3rd Phase: $ 2,849,584,795
TOTAL: $ 6,282,421,509
Date of Completion:
1st Phase: 2022
2nd Phase: 2024
3rd Phase: 2030+
• The MILLS Art Museum
• Maidan Mixed Use Citadel’s Downtown
• Exhibition & Convention-Centre
Architect(s) of Record:
FOLCO RICCIO Intl. Assoc. AIA
Architetc . Urban Designer . Developer
485 BRICKELL AVE. #4706
MIAMI. FL. 33131 USA
cel. +1 617 380 8107
Folco RICCIO. Arch. MUD. Intl.Assoc.AIA
Andres MACIEJOWSKI. Arch.
Ladislao MACIEJEWSKI. Arch.
Elsa De La PURIFICACION. Arch.
Patricia MATAMOROS. Arch.
Eduardo IZAGUIRRE. Arch.
Anamargarita BAASH. Arch.
Giampiero RICCIO. CFA. Eng.
John STODDART. Landscape Arch.
HL WALLINGFORD (Dredging)
TEAM-e CHINA (3d Renders + Video)
Roger BLUM . Cruise & Port Advisors
Emmy GEHRENBECK (Graphic Design)
Graciela BELTRAN CARIAS (Press)
Mariela SEGOVIA (Voiceover)
AL FAISAL HOLDING . Doha . QATAR
Folco RICCIO All photographs
The Falcon of Doha • Qatar by FOLCO RICCIO Architecture . Urban Design . Development in Qatar won the WA Award Cycle 29. Please find below the WA Award poster for this project.
Downloaded 158 times.