Submitted by WA Contents
Salone Del Mobile will take place in September, President Claudio Luti resigns from the event
Italy Architecture News - Apr 23, 2021 - 16:11 4404 views
Milan's Salone del Mobile, the world's largest trade and design fair, had decided to go ahead with its physical event from September 5th to 10th, 2021 despite the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
The announcement came after the Italian government has announced new plans about the coronavirus restrictions in the country. The organization of the Salone del Mobile was awaiting for the decisions of the Italian government related to the coronavirus restrictions, to see whether the new restrictions will allow to hold the furniture fair or not.
Italy's Prime Minister Mario Draghi and Health Minister Roberto Speranza said that they would ease anti-coronavirus restrictions from the end of April at a news press conference, according to an announcement by Anadolu Agency. This decision meant that the Salone del Mobile fair would be held in physical way between September 5th to 10th, 2021 in Milan.
Last week, Claudio Luti had said, before his resignation from the presidency of the Salone del Mobile: The Salone del Mobile di Milano is an immeasurable asset for the entire country, and the government has confirmed that it is fully aware of this," following a series of meetings with the government."
"We are therefore hopeful that the reassurances given yesterday will soon become concrete actions."
On the other hand, amid these uncertainties it was observed that many manufacturers, who were encountering the coronavirus travel restrictions from abroad, withdrew their participations and cancelled their booths from the fair in September.
This meant that the Salone del Mobile fair would not reach a satisactory quality in terms of international exhibitors and the design world that it represents.
(left) Claudio Luti at the press conference for the 2020 Salone del Mobile. Image courtesy of Salone del Mobile
"There are no longer the conditions to pursue my vision of compactness"
In a new announcement made by La Reppublica yesterday, Claudio Luti has resigned as president of the Salone del Mobile. He said that "leaving the chairmanship of the Salone del Mobile such a delicate and complex moment is a painful choice."
"Over the years I have worked hard to affirm the event as a representation of the system at an international level, but there are no longer the conditions to pursue my vision of compactness in the sector for the common good."
"I respect everyone’s decisions but I do not share the desire not to team up in such a delicate moment and to at least give up trying to define a concrete path to do what could be the symbol of the country’s recovery," he added.
He continued that "I certainly recognize the difficulties and also the unknowns that prevent us now from clarifying all the uncertainties given by the still looming pandemic scenario."
"But what counts for me is the common will of purpose, which has failed."
"My undisputed respect and affection for the Salone del Mobile remains, which I will continue to support and I hope that everyone’s work will continue with the aim of preserving the emotions, suggestions and strength that the salon has always brought to milan."
In the meantime, the Milan Fuorisalone, which takes place together with Salone del Mobile, also confirmed that the event's activities in and around the city of Milan will go ahead from the 5th to the 10th of September as planned.
In addition, although Health Minister Roberto Speranza said that "we can imagine the restart of trade fairs" from July 1st, the Venice Architecture Biennale decided to open the Biennale to the public on May 22, 2021.
All images courtesy of Salone del Mobile.