Submitted by WA Contents
Laka is receiving entries to “Architecture that Reacts
Poland Architecture News - Apr 10, 2018 - 04:23 5393 views
Laka invites designers from around the world to submit their ideas of "architecture that reacts." The main focus of the competition is on the solutions that develop through a process of changes and adjustments. The subject of the competition is architectural, design, or technological solutions that are capable of dynamic interaction with their surroundings.
Laka is a non-profit organization and an international network focused on positive social impact through responsible design and architecture. The beliefs in the importance of interdisciplinary collaboration and in the potential of creative ideas are the core values of the programs and projects that Laka implements.
"noMad" by Paul Bart, Marvin Bratke, Dmytro Aranchii, Flavia Ghirotto Santos, Yuqiu Jiang. Image courtesy of Laka
About Laka’s Programs and Projects
Laka develops projects and programs that underline the crucial role of architecture and technology in the process of positive social change and development.
- Laka Competition is an international annual competition that seeks innovative ideas in architecture, design, and technology that are capable of reacting and dynamically adjusting to the conditions of the environment (either natural, social, or built).
- ‘Laka Perspectives’ is an award-winning annual publication (first published in January 2018) featuring interviews with the leaders in architecture, urban planning, computational design, digital fabrication, smart materials, mobility, biomimicry, and more.
- Laka Accelerator is an international program that aims to offer opportunities for investigation of the best designs by providing professional consulting and international press coverage.
Image courtesy of Laka
Laka' international judging panel is composed of: Alberto T. Estévez (Architect, Educator, Art Historian, Ph.D. of Sciences, Ph.D. of Arts, Founder of ESARQ/UIC), Ana Rewakowicz (Artist, Inventor, Designer), Dagmar Reinhardt (Ph.D., Architect, Educator, Principal of reinhardtjung), Hani Rashid (Architect, Designer, Educator, Co-founder of Asymptote, Head of Studio_Hani Rashid), Paul Clemens Bart (Architect, Designer, Co-founder of BART//BRATKE), Peter Kuczia (IARP&BAK Architect, Ph.D., Educator, Creator of CO2 Saver House) and Marvin Bratke (Dipl.-Ing., Architect, Co-founder of BART//BRATKE, Visiting Professor Muthesius Academy of Arts).
The competition will give 3 main prizes and approximately 10 honourable mentions. Laureates of the main prizes will be a 1,000 USD cash prize per team and will be invited to join the ‘Laka Perspectives’ book vol. 2.
Secondly, laureates of the main prizes and honorable mentions will be provided with feedback on their designs by selected experts from the Laka Accelerator, their winning projects will be presented on Laka’s websites and promoted among Laka’s network of partners, and included in future Laka publications related to the competition.
"Currents for Currents" by Deo Alrashid Trevecedo Alam, Pierre Michael Monjardin, Andrew Galano. Image courtesy of Laka
Laureates of the main prizes will be invited to join the ‘Laka Perspectives’ book vol. 2 among such leaders as Toyo Ito (Laureate of the Pritzker Prize 2013 and UIA Gold Medal in 2017, Founder of Toyo Ito & Associates), Carlo Ratti (Director of the Senseable City Lab at MIT, Founder of Carlo Ratti Associati), Peter Kuczia (Founder of Kuczia Architects), Elizabeth Monoian and Robert Ferry (Founding Partners of Land Art Generator Initiative), and Kamil Łabanowicz (Team Leader at AUDI AG).
"Towards a Lively Architecture" by David Heaton. Image courtesy of Laka
- Registration opens in April 2018
- Early Registration (April 1st–June 1st): 50 USD
- Regular Registration (June 2nd–October 1st): 75 USD
- Late Registration (October 2nd–November 1st): 100 USD
- Project submission deadline: November 2nd, 2018
- Jury deliberation: November, 2018
- Winners’ announcement: December 1st, 2018
UTC time zone for all dates.
You can download the competition brief from Laka's website. If you have questions about the competition, please contact: email@example.com. Early registration period is open and register from here.
World Architecture Community is media partner for the competition and will announce the winners on WAC news.
Top image courtesy of Laka.
> via Laka