2. A Note to Users in the European Union. Your Personal Information may be processed in the country in which it was collected and in other countries, including but not limited to the United States, where laws regarding processing of Personal Information may be less stringent than the laws in the European Union. By using the Services you agree to such processing.
3. Types of Information We Collect. “Personal Information” means information that allows someone to identify or contact you, including, for example, your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, as well as any other non-public information about you that is associated with or linked to any of the foregoing Information. “Anonymous Information” means Information that is not associated with or linked to your Personal Information. Anonymous Information does not, by itself, permit the identification of individual persons. We collect Personal Information and Anonymous Information, as described below through the Services.
a) Information You Provide to Us.
i. Registration. When you register to become an Authorized User and open an account (a “WA Account”), we collect your name, e-mail address, password, year of birth, location country, occupation, education and institution name.
ii. SNS Login. If you prefer, you may logon as an Authorized User by using social networking sites (e.g., Facebook, Google or LinkedIn) (each an “SNS”), in which case we will receive all of the information from the SNS that you authorize us to receive from the SNS.
iii. Profile Pages. The information collected during registration is used to initiate a personal Profile page. You can add to your personal profile by providing your phone and fax numbers, mailing address, education level, interests, social media identification information and the firm and projects with which you are associated.
iv. Office Pages. If you represent an architectural office, large or small, you may create an Office page in which case we will collect the information provided within the office profile, including the firm name, description, street address, telephone and fax numbers, website URL, social links and descriptions.
v. Project Pages. We encourage our users to share their work, be it built or concept through our Portal. We collect the images and descriptions you provide when you upload a project, whether you chose to participate in one of the cycles of the WA Awards competition, a Project Page is then created on our system, where the information as well as the visuals you upload will be collected on our servers or the servers of third parties working on our behalf.
vi. WA Award. If you participate in one of the cycles of the WA Awards competition, your project you upload will also be listed as participating to the cycle and if your project wins at the WA Award competition, an additional poster will be created by one of WA staff and be stored on our Portal both for your and others to view or download as an image file. Typically, such posters include a visual from your project as well as its name and your name.
vii. Postings. When you post comments or publish news on our portal, the information contained in your posting will be stored on our servers or the servers of third parties working on our behalf.
viii. Feedback. If you provide us feedback or contact us via e-mail, we will collect your name and e-mail address, as well as any other content included in the e-mail, in order to send you a reply.
x. Other Information. We may also collect Personal Information in other ways within the Services, where we state that Personal Information is being collected. For example, we may collect Personal Information as part of a survey, competition, sweepstakes or contest.
b) Information Collected via Technology.
i. Browser Information. To make our Site and Services more useful to you, our servers (which may be hosted by a third party service provider) may collect information from you, including your browser type, Internet Protocol (IP) address (a number that is automatically assigned to your computer when you use the Internet, which may vary from session to session), search terms, and/or a date/time stamp for your visit.
iii. Pixel Tags. We use “Pixel Tags” (also referred to as clear gifs, web beacons, or web bugs). Pixel Tags are tiny graphic images with a unique identifier, similar in function to Cookies, that are used to track online movements of users. In contrast to Cookies, which are stored on a user’s computer hard drive, Pixel Tags are embedded invisibly in web pages. Pixel Tags also allow us to send e-mail messages, in a format users can read, and they tell us whether e-mails have been opened. We may use this information to gauge effectiveness of our communication and subsequently reduce or eliminate messages sent to a user.
iv. Applications. We may also collect non-personal information from your mobile or tablet device if you download our Application(s) in the future. This information would generally be used to help us deliver the most relevant information to you. Examples of information that may be collected and used could include your geographic location, how you use the Application(s), and information about the type of device you use. In addition, in the event there are technical problems with our Application(s), we will receive information about your mobile device model software version and device carrier, which will allow us to identify and fix bugs and otherwise improve the performance of our Application(s). This information will be sent to us as aggregated information and is not traceable to any individual and cannot be used to identify an individual.
vii. Information Collected from You About Others. If you decide to invite a third party to create an Account, we will collect your and the third party’s names and e-mail addresses in order to send an e-mail and follow up with the third party. We rely upon you to obtain whatever consents from the third party that may be required by law to allow us to access and upload the third party’s names and e-mail addresses as required above. You or the third party may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request the removal of this information from our database.
viii. Information Collected from Third Party Companies. We may receive Personal and/or Anonymous Information about you from companies that offer their products and/or services on our Site. These third party companies may supply us with Personal Information. We may add this information to the information we have already collected from you via our Site in order to improve the Services we provide.
4. Use of Your Personal Information.
a) General Use. In general, Personal Information you submit to us is used either to respond to requests that you make, or to aid us in serving you better. We may use your Personal Information in the following ways:
i. to provide the Services to you;
ii. to direct certain content and advertisements to you so that you are more likely to see content and advertisements that are relevant to you;
iii. to facilitate the creation of and secure your WA Account;
iv. to identify you as a user in our system;
v. to provide improved administration of our Services;
vi. to notify visitors about updates to our Services;
vii. to improve and customize the quality of experience when you interact with our Services;
viii. to send you a welcome e-mail and to verify ownership of the e-mail address provided when your WA Account was created;
ix. to send you administrative e-mail notifications, such as security or support and maintenance advisories;
x. to respond to your inquiries;
xi. to engage with or contact inactive users of the Services;
xii. to send offers and promotional materials related to our Services and those of third parties for marketing and other purposes.
b) Creation of Anonymous Information. We may create Anonymous Information records from Personal Information by excluding information (such as your name) that makes the Information personally identifiable to you. We use this Anonymous Information to analyze request and usage patterns so that we may enhance the content of our Services and improve Site navigation. We reserve the right to use Anonymous Information for any purpose and disclose Anonymous Information to third parties in our sole discretion.
a) Profiles and Projects. Connecting people, firms and projects is an essential element of the Services. As such, personal profiles, office profiles and projects are made publicly available within the Services, with the understanding that within your personal profile, we do not make your e-mail and mailing address, phone or fax number, social links or website URL publicly available, unless you expressly make them available on your personal Profile Settings page. In addition, you may make comments or post material in other public areas of the Services. Once displayed on publicly viewable web pages, please be aware that the information can be collected and used by others. We cannot control who reads your profile, projects or posts, so please be thoughtful about the information you make publicly available within the Services. Once information is posted publicly, while you will still be able to edit and delete it within the Services, you will not be able to edit or delete such information cached, collected, and stored elsewhere by others (e.g., search engines).
b) Third Party Service Providers. We may share your Personal Information with third party service providers to assist us in providing you the Services or otherwise operating our business, including to: host our servers, conduct quality assurance testing; facilitate creation of accounts; provide technical support; and/or to provide other services to us.
7. Our Relationship with Social Networking Sites (SNS). As noted above, we offer you interfaces that allow you to connect to your WA Account by using account and an SNS (e.g., Facebook, Google and LinkedIn). We will work with the SNS’s application protocol interface (better known as their developer API) in a way that allows you to authorize us to access your account on that SNS on your behalf. In order to provide this authorization, you will not provide us with your user name or password to the SNS, but you will need to log-in to that SNS directly through our Site. Once authorized by you, the SNS will provide us a token that allows the SNS to recognize us when we ask, on your behalf, for access to your account. You will be able to revoke our access to any SN Site at any time by amending the appropriate settings from within your account settings on the applicable SNS, though such revocation may limit the Services we are able to provide you.
8. Your Choices Regarding Your Personal Information.
a) Newsletters and e-mail. We will periodically send you newsletters and e-mails that promote the use of our Services. When you receive newsletters or promotional communications from us, you may indicate a preference to stop receiving further communications from us and you will have the opportunity to “opt-out” by following the unsubscribe instructions provided in the e-mail you receive, by terminating your WA Account or by contacting us directly (please see contact information below). You may also limit the communications you receive from us through your Profile Settings page within the Services. Even if you opt out of receiving marketing related messages, we will continue to send messages regarding the administration of the Services.
b) Changes to Personal Information. Except for your e-mail, username or password, you may change any of your Personal Information in your WA Account (including the Office profile and the Project pages connected to your WA Account) by editing your profile or by sending an e-mail to us at the e-mail address set forth below. You may request deletion of your Personal Information by us, but please note that we may be required to keep this information and not delete it (or to keep this information for a certain time, in which case we will comply with your deletion request only after we have fulfilled such requirements). Additionally, it is important to note that system-recorded personal information is not editable. When we delete any information, it will be deleted from the active database, but may remain in our archives. We may retain your information for fraud prevention or similar purposes.
9. Security of Your Personal Information. WA is committed to protecting the security of your Personal Information. We use a variety of industry-standard security technologies and procedures to help protect your Personal Information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. We also require you to enter a password to access your WA Account information. Please do not disclose your WA Account password to unauthorized people. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, while WA uses reasonable efforts to protect your Personal Information, WA cannot guarantee its absolute security.